What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is an area of dentistry that corrects teeth and jaws positioned improperly. It includes using dental appliances, such as braces and retainers, to bring teeth, lips, and jaws into proper alignment.
Crooked teeth and those that don’t fit together correctly pose issues like the following:
- Difficult to keep clean
- Higher risk of early loss due to decay and periodontal disease
- Cause extra stress on the chewing muscles, leading to pain in other areas
- Detract from one’s appearance
How to Know if You Need Orthodontics
The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends that every child receive an orthodontic check-up by age 7. However, braces and other treatments are also suitable for adults. If you experience any of the following, an orthodontist in St. Louis can help:
- Visibly crooked or crowded teeth
- Thumb-sucking or using a pacifier after the age of two
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Frequently biting the tongue
- Mouth breathing
- Difficulty flossing and brushing around crooked teeth
- Jaws that make clicking noises while chewing
- Teeth that don’t close appropriately over each other when resting
- Difficulty pronouncing particular words
- Jawline stress or fatigue after eating
Types of Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment will result in a beautiful smile that will impact your self-confidence for years. Dr. Andy Frost offers two primary types of orthodontic treatment:
- Braces: Traditional metal or clear braces are the most popular types of orthodontic treatment. They use brackets applied to your teeth and connected by a wire, gradually moving them into the desired position.
- Invisalign: Instead of brackets and wires, Invisalign uses removable aligners to move your teeth. The aligners are clear, comfortable, and practically invisible plastic.
Invisalign Treatment Process
Our Invisalign process in Creve Coeur begins with an initial consultation to determine whether you’re a strong candidate for treatment. If so, Dr. Frost will formulate an individualized plan. He will also utilize the innovative iTero scanner to create a digital scan of your mouth.
During treatment, you’ll wear custom-made aligners that gradually move your teeth. The clear plastic aligners fit snugly, making them practically invisible.
You must wear them for at least 20 hours daily and switch out your trays every two weeks. You should also remove your Invisalign aligners when eating and brushing your teeth. After the treatment, we recommend you wear a retainer to prevent your teeth from shifting.
Braces Treatment Process
Treatment for metal or clear braces starts with a consultation. During the initial appointment for braces in Creve Coeur, Dr. Frost will examine your teeth and mouth, review your dental history, and look at X-rays. He will determine if braces suit you and develop a personalized treatment plan based on his findings.
At your next appointment, Dr. Frost will prepare your teeth and place the metal brackets and wires, sealing them with rubber bands. After receiving braces, you’ll return to our office for regular adjustments every three to ten weeks.
After each adjustment, the replacement wires will tighten your teeth into new positions, causing soreness. You can ease the discomfort with over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen.
Once Dr. Frost has determined your treatment is complete, he will remove the braces, and you’ll enjoy the smile of your dreams! We also recommend wearing a retainer appliance after the treatment to prevent your teeth from shifting.
Schedule an Appointment for St. Louis Orthodontics
Dr. Andy Frost provides a family-friendly environment where he strives to exceed patients’ expectations for service and care. You’ll receive a warm welcome and individual attention throughout your treatment process when you enter our office.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Frost for St. Louis orthodontics and start your journey toward a beautiful, healthy smile!